Newsela is an important tool for classroom teachers. On the surface, it is a newspaper with current events articles written to be read by school students. But Newsela has some very important tools to go along with it:
- Teachers control reading levels. A class can read the same content, but reading lexiles can be set to accommodate different levels of reading.
- There are filters to organize articles by subject area or standards.
- Each article comes with a thoughtful reading prompt and an optional quiz.
- Students do not have to divulge any personal information to access assigned articles.
- The site is free. Additional features can be purchased. We like the amount of free content provided.
When used in conjunction with the 10 Design Qualities of Schoolwork, Newsela can be an important tool that can address Authenticity and Organization of Knowledge.
We hope you enjoy interacting with Newsela!
The Engagement People